Pragpur is a village in Kagra district of Himachal Pradesh. Lying in the shadows of Dhauladhar range, and developed about 3 centuries ago. The village of Pragpur along with the nearby village of Garli, is notified as a “Heritage Village” by a State Government notification dated 9 December 1997. As per the constitution of India and Panchyati Raaj Act, Pragpur village is administrate by the sarpanch, who is the elect representative of the village.
It was founded in the late 16th century by the Kuthiala Soods in memory of Princess Prag Dei of the Jaswan Royal family. The area of Pragpur was part of the principality of Jaswan whose chief. In the late 16th or early 17th century, charged a band of learned men, led by a Kuthiala Sood, to find a suitable place to commemorate Princess ‘Prag’ of his royal lineage.
Along with the nearby village of Garli is a part of the Heritage Zone. The Judges Court is a resort in a typical Anglo-Indian style of architecture. It stands in 12 acres of greens, and is just a short walk from the village core and the Taal. Apart from the Judges Court, built in 1918, Mr Lal has restored his 300-year-old ancestral house.
Leading destinations in Pragpur include:
The Judge’s Court
Apart from visits to these places, you can indulge yourself in trekking, bird watching and fishing.